SPOILER ALERT!
Incarceron - Catherine Fisher

Incarceron could easily have been five stars. It has an amazing prison. I mean, a prison that's ALIVE? That is mind-blowing. It could have been epicness.

But it wasn't, sadly.

Let me be clear right from the start: This wasn't a bad book. I fairly enjoyed it. The beginning was a bit slow, but bit by bit the world both inside and outside Incarceron unfolds and there is great world building. But I still had a lot of questions at the end. Who are the Sapienti? The Civicry? The Steel Wolves? Is Finn a royal or not? What does Incarceron LOOK LIKE?? Is Incarceron truly "alive" or is it merely a machine that can think and stuff? Why is the Queen so evil? How was this government established? What happened to Sapphique?

If I have a ton of questions after reading, the book will not get more than three stars.

Claudia was annoying. Finn was boring. There is a forced romance between them. Very forced. They don't actually meet in person until the very end of the novel, and Claudia only likes Finn because she thinks he is Giles, who was secretly alive the whole time. She doesn't even know for sure if he is Giles! Is that insta-love or what? I hated Attia. I think Jared and Claudia have more chemistry than Finn and Claudia. I mean, everyone in the novel already thinks Claudia and Jared are in love. Why not?

The most intriguing character was easily Keiro. He's not a good guy. He lies, and steals, and kills. But he's loyal to his "brother" Finn and he's not completely evil. A book from his perspective, the perspective of a guy who isn't perfect, but isn't evil, could be all kinds of awesome.

Incarceron was not a bad book. I enjoyed it. Did I like it? Yes. Did I love it? No. I did not.

Will I read the sequel?.....maybe.