Graceling

Graceling - Kristin Cashore Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I have so many things that I want to say about Graceling. Let me try and organize my thoughts:

Things I enjoyed/liked:
•The writing. The writing itself flowed well.
•Some characters. Particular Po, Raffin and Bitterblue. Because of Bitterblue, I really want to read the third book, although originally I had not planned on continuing with the series.
•The world building. The idea of Gracelings was super cool. I really liked it, and I think that it was very original.

Every book has its faults. And unfortunately, Graceling has one big, huge, colossal problem:

Katsa is one of the most annoying protagonists ever. The more I think about it, the more I hate her. She has anger management issues. She lashes out at everyone, she throws tantrums when she doesn't get her way and she mistreats her horses (a good review that addresses this issue is Krystle's review. Check it out). She is completely unlikeable and she is just SO perfect. I understand the fact that she is great at fighting, but just because you are good at fighting doesn't mean you are completely unbeatable at everything. It makes NO sense! Her attitude toward marriage and her "feminist" ideals is unbelievable too. Some good reviews that discuss that are Emily May's review and Ryn's review.

Graceling was bad at many parts. Some parts it was good. I will not read Fire. But I like Bitterblue, so I'm debating about reading the third book. I wonder if I should skip Fire and read Bitterblue.......

So two stars for all the things under the "Things I liked" section and an extra half star for getting me interested into reading Bitterblue. If you would like to read Graceling, I suggest you borrow it or check it out of a library. Or avoid it. I do not recommend.