StarCrossed

StarCrossed - Elizabeth C. Bunce I finished Starcrossed a few days ago and I needed some time to process my thoughts. Even though the characters are awesome, the setting/world of Starcrossed is so complex, and the book was just well-written, there has been something nagging at me, something I didn't like about this book. I couldn't put my finger on it, until now.

Although the world of Starcrossed was interesting, it was very confusing. It was complex, but almost too complex. There is a lexicon at the back of the book with a list of characters & places, which was helpful, but I didn't completely understand the Greenmen vs. Sarists religious rebellion until towards the end, where Digger's (the protagonist, who is referred to most of the time as "Celyn") backstory is revealed.

That was the main thing that bothered me, but there were some other, very minor things too. Like some characters (Raffin and his dad, Durrel Decath and Lord Decath, Merista's maid in the beginning) are mentioned briefly and not heard from again. Although, Durrel Decath makes a reappearance in Liar's Moon, but still. Also, Meri was a little annoying. She came across as naive and inexperienced. She spent a lot of time with the Sarists camped out in the woods, which is dangerous, because the Sarist religion is forbidden. But I liked the friendship between her and Digger, it was sweet.

A few things slightly annoyed me about Starcrossed, but overall I did enjoy it and will definitely read Liar's Moon.