Hanging by a Thread

Hanging by a Thread - Sophie Littlefield Hanging By a Thread is about a girl named Clare who moves back to the town of Winston, which was her childhood home (I think. I haven't read it in a while, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact details). Independence Day is coming up and the town is nervous. For the last two years, someone has gone missing on Fourth of July and everyone fears this year there will be a third victim. Clare is a seamstress with a "gift" that she inherited from her grandmother; when she touches people's clothes, she can see their past. So, one day, she comes across a jacket that belonged to Amanda Stavros, last year's victim. So Clare decides to solve the mystery: what happened to Amanda Stavros and Dylan Granger (the other victim)? Anyway, I think the premise was very interesting and it was fairly well-written. The first half was so awesome, but kind of scary. The characters were ok, but I feel that the guy Clare meets (I forgot his name, I think it was Jack or something, but I don't know) was kind of an unnecessary character. Of course in a YA book, even if its a paranormal-ish type mystery, the female protagonist has to meet a guy right? Wrong. He was completely unnecessary, and he was only a very minor help in the solving of the mystery. The story would have been fine and made sense without him. The only interesting thing about him was that he apparently knew Amanda (although when I think about, HOW does that help??). Ok, so the first half was amazing and I was expecting the conclusion to be just as good. But for some reason, to me the ending was so, so, so very disappointing. I guess it was kind of surprising, but I was expecting more.... Oh well.
So, Hanging By a Thread is a pretty decent read, but a few things for me kept it from being a four-star rating.