SPOILER ALERT!

Speak

Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson Speak is the story of Melinda Sordino, a girl who is just starting high school. At the beginning of the year, Melinda is lonely. It is revealed that she busted a party during the summer by calling the police. A few people were arrested and now everyone is mad at her. As the year progresses, Melinda declines into depression and becomes more and more withdrawn. As the story goes on, the reader can start to see that something is bothering Melinda. Something terrible happened at that party- something she hasn't told anyone and the reader doesn't even know what it is. Then, in the middle of the story, it is revealed what happened at that party: Melinda was raped by a senior named Andy Evans. Her rapist is still tormenting her, and is even targeting her former best friend. Melinda struggles the whole story with her predicament. This is the story of one girl's struggle to speak up.

My thoughts: Speak was a decent read, but I have to say, it was so sad. Throughout most of the story, my feelings mirrored Melinda's. When she was sad (which was most of the story), I was. When she felt hopeful, so did I. Overall, Speak was a pretty good book, but I don't feel like giving it more than three stars. But I still recommend Speak.