The Tale of Despereaux

The Tale of Despereaux - Timothy Basil Ering, Kate DiCamillo The Tale of Despereaux is the story of a brave mouse named Despereaux. He reads tales of chivalry and bravery and wants to be like one of those knights. He wants more out of life. Roscuro is a rat. After the Queen's death, all rats/mice were banned from the kingdom, as was all the soup. Roscuro was the rat who partly caused the Queen's death. He was in the dining hall and the Queen saw him while eating her soup. She was so disgusted that she choked on her soup and died (yes, a very odd way to die). Miggery Sow, a servant girl, has one simple yet impossible wish; she longs to be a princess. These three characters are the narrators and their stories weave together to make this book.

I'm going to be honest; I actually liked the movie WAY better than the book. For example, in the movie I get the feeling that Roscuro feels guilty about his role in the Queen's death and feels ashamed that he has to live in the shadows. I didn't get that from the book. Also, the story of Miggery Sow is really sad; she was constantly abused on the farm she used to live and work on, and she still gets abused at the castle. In the movie (I'm not sure if this happened in the book, she gets a happier ending. Overall, if you would like to hear this story, watch the movie! In my opinion, it's MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than the book.