Elsewhere

Elsewhere - Gabrielle Zevin I did not enjoy Elsewhere.

That's not to say it's a bad book. The writing flows and I had no trouble making myself read it. It has merit. It's just that I had a few (ok, more than a few) issues with Elsewhere.

First of all, I did not like Liz. She had no personality and was a bit irksome. I could not feel the attraction between her and Owen; it wasn't a well-written romance. I felt like Owen didn't have much of a personality either (not to mention the whole Emily thing was useless, but I'll go into more detail later). In fact, the only character I really liked was Curtis Jest and he's only a minor character. In my opinion, the story would have been more enjoyable told from his POV (a sequel from his POV would be awesome too!!).

And then there's Emily. There was nothing wrong with her character itself, it's just the role she plays in the story. Which is none, by the way. I was expecting Owen and Emily's relationship to be this great, epic love, but when Emily finally died and came to Elsewhere, all she says to Owen is "did you miss me?". Too casual a greeting, considering Emily has pined for Owen for YEARS. And the reason I didn't like Liz that much; so she likes Owen and Emily is/was his wife. I understand jealousy. I don't understand being rude to that person when she hasn't really done anything to Liz. But the main issue is that if Emily and Owen had drifted apart and Owen really loves Liz, why include Emily in the story AT ALL?! The author should have focused more on the love triangle, the angst at having to choose, the passion and everything that makes a romance. Or maybe she should have just not included Emily at all.

Elsewhere is a boring place; it's exactly like Earth only no one dies (obviously) and there are talking dogs (but only some people can talk to them) and mermaids (again, why?!). It's a jumble of confusion and I would have liked to have seen more world-building. Or more focus on why the Well is forbidden.

So two stars. I do not recommend.