The Call of the Wild

The Call of the Wild - Jack London Hmm... Well, the writing was beautiful, I'll give it that. And the premise was interesting.

But, there were two issues I had with Call of the Wild. Firstly, there are a LOT of characters, but not much character development in any, except Buck (obviously, because he's the protagonist). All of the characters are just there. None are really important. I read this for English, and a lot of my classmates had troubling describing the sled dogs, because there are so many of them! At least fifteen dogs.

Secondly, if you're like me and you can't bear to see any animal treated badly, you will not like parts of this book. Especially Chapter 5. Don't worry, I won't give anything away (this is a spoiler-free review), but I will say that Buck and his teammates are treated especially harshly in Chapter 5.

So three stars for the beautiful writing (especially the descriptions of scenery), interesting story and tremendous character development in Buck. But no more, mainly because of the utter lack of character development in any of the other characters.