The Princess Curse

The Princess Curse - Merrie Haskell WARNING! This review has a few spoilers.

Due to a few issues, I felt I could not give Princess Curse more than three stars. And even that's generous. Not to say it's a bad book. I'm merely saying that I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

First of all, I could not picture anything in my head. I don't know whether that's my own fault or if It's the writing, but I could not picture any of the characters in my head (except Reveka, which doesn't count because she's obviously the girl on the cover). And I only had a hazy image of the setting in my mind.

Also, the characters. None of them were really fleshed out or had any development really. Except for Reveka, who I find to be a clever, brave and overall outstanding protagonist. The princesses I especially hated. All except for Otilia were petty and extremely annoying. I also kept getting them mixed up. If it wasn't for the people cursed to sleep forever, I would be rooting for them to remain cursed. Mihas (a servant boy) also was very irritating as he was kind of dumb and wasn't very helpful to Reveka at all. He was just an idiot.

One final complaint; I'm pretty sure this is middle-grade fantasy, but a few things I thought were more appropriate for a young-adult audience. For instance, Reveka is thirteen or fourteen, and she marries Dragos/Frumos to break the spell and save the princesses. Also, how old is Reveka's father supposed to be? Because in the end, he marries Lacrimora, one of the princesses, and Lacrimora couldn't have been older than 19 or 20 years old.

And that's it. I still enjoyed The Princess Curse, even though I had some issues with it.

I wonder if there's a sequel. There probably should be, because the book ends on a note that makes you expect more. Not quite a cliffhanger, though.