Playing to Win - Avery Cockburn

Oh my god, I feel like my heart is about to explode. This has ALL THE FEELS and I'm not sure I can take it. Give me a minute.....Alright, let's do this!

I found a new OTP!! This romance is the best- witty banter, tension without being overly dramatic, sweet moments. So sweet and amazing and heartwarming.

Colin's really the best. He's sarcastic and a bit cynical, but he's got a heart of gold. He's a really caring guy and he gets so fired up about what he believes in, and I love him so much. Andrew is also awesome. In the beginning, his class privilege as well as his ignorance of that privilege pissed me the hell off. But he grew and changed as a character and I loved it. Andrew's so....honest and raw, and he's just really lovable and awesome.

Aside from the romance, the political situation (the 2014 Scottish Independence referendum) in Scotland was a huge part of the story. And tbh, at the time the actual events were happening I was only vaguely aware of it. But this book opened my eyes to what it was really like. I'm not from Scotland, I don't really care about politics in Scotland. But the excitement, the atmosphere...it really got my heart pounding. It got me all fired up!
*insert Natsu gif here*
(you get my congratulations if you get the Fairy Tail reference)

And side note: maybe I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, but this book made me very sympathetic to the Yes side.

I really liked the setting. I've never read a book that took place in modern-day Scotland, so this was a first and it was one I enjoyed. Also, the Scottish slang/accent is really cool.

If I'm completely honest, I don't give a single shit about sports. It's just not something that interests me. So I was a little hesitant to read this, fearing the football/soccer (same sport, different names) aspect would lessen my enjoyment. I was dead wrong. It's not shoved in your face so even if you don't like sports you would still enjoy this.

I stayed up until 1:00 in the morning to read this thing. It was fantastic, I absolutely adored it, and honestly my heart is pounding and I'm so amazed. This book punched me right in the feels. I even cried a little. Sorry if I'm a little incoherent. But what I'm trying to say is: I absolutely adored this with every fiber of my being. You've gotta read it!

Tl;dr version- Amazing romance, characters, exciting subplot, cool setting. It's brilliant. Read it.