The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan

I'm done! Tbh, I'm not amazed. Don't get me wrong, it was very enjoyable! But it wasn't mindblowing or anything.

I love Greek mythology! It's very hard to strike that balance between adding your own twists and staying true to the original, but Riordan somehow managed. At least in my eyes. And I really like the twists that he added in The Lightning Thief. I like how the Underworld was portrayed, for instance. I also like Camp Half Blood.

Percy was pretty cool. Very different from film Percy (whom I also liked), but still cool. Annabeth annoyed me in the film, but in the book she was not so bad. And Grover is adorable either way. I like Hades as well. Ares is one of my favorite gods, and I wasn't too pleased with his characterization in this one. I mean, I guess it's accurate, but for some reason I didn't really like it.

Okay, one thing I took issue with: Percy's kind of a special snowflake. Let's be really, the gods slept around a lot, especially Zeus and Poseidon. You really think there's no other offspring of one of the three major gods that could rival Percy in terms of power? Yeah, I know they made an agreement, but then they all broke it! So logically Percy should have some siblings or cousins who are just as powerful as him, right? So why is he treated so special?

Here's something that annoyed me even more: The way Medusa's story is explained pissed me the fuck off. I ranted about it in my currently-reading review, but long story short: Medusa was not Poseidon's girlfriend, she was raped. Fuck you for making light of that. Medusa always gets the short end of the stick, and it makes me sad. For once can't she have a happy ending?

This was quite different from the film! I knew there were going to be differences, but it was way more different than I thought it'd be. And I'm not complaining, I enjoyed both the film and the book. I'm just saying, lots of things were changed.

Tl;dr version- Overall, I'm glad I read this. It's never going to be a favorite, but it certainly was entertaining.
________________________________
Before reading:
At last!!!!! At long last, I am finally reading the Percy Jackson series!!!!

Here's hoping it lives up to my expectations! :)