The Hatchling - Kathryn Lasky

This review is for books 4-7 (The Siege, The Shattering, The Burning, and The Hatchling)

Ye gods, I can't believe I had forgotten about this series. Guardians of Ga'Hoole is brilliant.

For one, the world-building is fantastic. There's nothing vague about it, it's interesting and intricate and I just love it.

Also, I absolutely adore the characters...well, most of them. I hate Nyra with the fire of a thousand suns, and all the other Pure Ones are just kinda meh. But I love Soren, Gylfie, Twilight, Digger, Ezylryb, Martin, Ruby, Eglantine, Primrose, Mrs. P...hell, even Otulissa has grown on me. And now we have Nyroc, another awesome character to add to the list.

I have to add a disclaimer: this series can get pretty dark for a children's series. It's not all sunshine, sad things happen. Owls die, and unfairly too.

*sobs* Like Phillip. He was a good owl, a good friend to Nyroc.

(show spoiler)

So this might upset some younger readers and annoy those who like them HEAs. But me? I like a little bit of darkness, it balances things out. Life is unfair, people can be cruel. Sometimes I just want everyone to live happily ever after, but other times I want some sadness. That probably made no sense whatsoever, but screw it, I'm keeping it.

My point is, I love this series and I hope you do too.