The Purity Myth: How America's Obsession with Virginity is Hurting Young Women - Jessica Valenti

This is the second book I've read by Jessica Valenti and it's by far my favorite. The purity myth is dangerous, and this book not only helps dismantle it but provides possible solutions. At the end there is a discussion question section as well as a list of resources, which I appreciate.

Valenti writes about a fairly serious topic without being too dull or boring. She is engaging without treating the subject too lightly.

I'll leave you with this quote, and if you like it you should probably read this book:

Jensen calls for an end to our current understanding of masculinity. He says, "We men can settle for being men, or we can strive to be human beings". What's funny is that that statement essentially echoes the same hope I have for women: that we can start to see ourselves-and encourage men to see us- as more than just the sum of our sexual parts: not as virgins or whores, as mothers or girlfriends, or as existing only in relation to men, but people with independent desires, hopes, and abilities. But I know this can't happen so long as American culture continues to inundate us with gender role messages that place everyone- men and women- in an unnatural hierarchical order that's impossible to maintain without strife. For women to move forward, and for men to break free, we need to overcome the masculinity status quo- together.  (183).