Rape Is Rape: How Denial, Distortion, and Victim Blaming Are Fueling a Hidden Acquaintance Rape Crisis - Jody Raphael

CONTENT WARNING(s) FOR THIS BOOK: Rape (yeah, should be pretty obvious from the title, but just in case, I'm adding a trigger/content warning)

*deep breath*

This book has a really tough subject matter, and it was emotionally difficult to get through. I had to take a break about halfway through because I was so full of rage at the atrocities that these women (and men too! Although this book focuses on female victims) had to suffer as well as the societal blaming, disbelief, and apathy they endured.

I truly believe rape is one of the most cruel and evil things a person can do. To use sex, which is supposed to be pleasurable and good, and use it as a weapon, as violence- to me that's absolutely despicable. It doesn't matter what the victim was wearing, or if they weren't a virgin, or if alcohol was involved, or if the victim previously had consensual sex with the rapist. Rape is never the victim's fault. To place blame on the victim is to absolve the rapist of guilt. And that is morally reprehensible.

In edition to shedding some much needed light on an important subject. It was well written, well researched, and the author wrote with an unbiased tone that I appreciate. In short, please read this. Please have everyone you know read this. Rape culture needs to end.

Every one of us has a role to play. We can correct friends who minimize an acquaintance rape. We can complain to the appropriate authorities when we notice that a rape report in our college or workplace is being minimized or handled incorrectly. We can protest rape jokes. We can actively support a friend, acquaintance, or coworker who reports that he or she has been raped. We can write to newspapers editors when space is given to a rape denied but not to another view. We all need to work to overcome the current culture of rape denial. (191).