A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Content warnings for this book: Domestic abuse (There are a few scenes where Laila and Mariam suffer beatings from their husband)

Oh man, Hosseini's books have a way of punching me in the heart. I really didn't enjoy Kite Runner but it elicited such strong emotions in me that I was curious to see what his other books would bring. This was just as hard to read as Kite Runner. The injustices Laila and Mariam faced made me rage so much, and I was tearing up a little by the end. This was definitely as sad as Kite Runner (one of the main reasons I gave that book a low rating), but I'm giving this a higher rating because....I don't actually know. It's just a gut feeling, that's all. A Thousand Splendid Suns is a good kind of heartbreak, if that makes sense (probably doesn't. Sorry)

One problem I had with Kite Runner was the lack of female characters, so I'm pleased Hosseini made the major characters of this novel female. And the friendship between Mariam and Laila was so precious and beautiful.

I also appreciate learning about a country (Afghanistan) that I nothing about before reading Hosseini's books. So, I'm thankful for the education.

Tl;dr version- Not necessarily amazing, but certainly a worthwhile read. Can't wait to read Hosseini's third novel.

Pre-reading review:
After the internal struggle The Kite Runner inflicted upon me (did I like it? Did I not like it? Was it good or bad? I DONT KNOW I'M SO CONFUSED), not to mention the heartache, I am both curious and nervous to see what A Thousand Splendid Suns has in store for me.