He's a Stud, She's a Slut, and 49 Other Double Standards Every Woman Should Know - Jessica Valenti

I am a feminist, and damn proud of it. Lately, I decided to do some more reading about some feminist topics and I decided to start with this book because it seemed pretty short and sweet.

And therein lies the problem with He's a Stud, She's a Slut, and 49 Other Double Standards Every Woman Should Know. It's too brief. If the author had picked a smaller number of topics and went more in-depth, I think this would have been a much better book.

Also, Valenti said this lovely gem on page 128 (that's total sarcasm, if you can't tell. I thought it was horribly offensive):

"If a guy woke up and have been raped by another man after drinking too much, do you have any doubt in your mind that people would believe the victim? Just saying" (128).

As I said in my status update: Rape involving male victims are rarely reported, so fuck you for insinuating that it's so easy for them to just report it. Victim blaming happens regardless of gender, in different ways, but it happens nonetheless.

I also have a small qualm about the title: I would argue since women deal with these double standards every fucking day, I think it's more important that the men who might not necessarily notice are aware of the double standards that favor them. So yeah, I think it should be "everybody" or "every person" instead of "every woman".

Favorite chapters:
•He's a Politican, She's a Fashion Plate
•He's angry, She's PMSing
•He's Tough, She's a Tomboy
•He's a Bachelor, She's a Spinster
•He's a Romeo, She's a Stalker
•He's the Boss, She's a Bitch

Interesting topics that shoulda been expanded on:
•He's a Stud, She's a Slut
•He's lucky, She's Lolita

Tl;dr version- There are some chapters that just hit the nail on the head, and then there are some that have potential but could have been expanded on. If Valenti had picked, like, 10 double standards and really analyzed them I think this would have been a much better book.