Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy

I've been highly anticipated Skulduggery Pleasant for so long. I'm really happy I finally read, and I'm definitely going to read the sequel. But at the same time, I feel like it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. It wasn't bad at all, but I was expecting so much more awesome than there was.

There are a lot of characters who I really like. Skulduggery Pleasant, for whom the book is named, is so awesome. It's cool enough that he's a sorcerer as well as a sentient skeleton. But not only is he a magical skeleton, but he's a witty and clever magical skeleton and that's pretty freaking fantastic. I also really like Tanith Low, who is a warrior badass.

So, I like Stephanie/Valkyrie. She says some witty things and she's spunky. She's no Mary Sue, that's for sure. But at the same time, in some of the battles she's not as capable as her comrades at defending herself and it irritated me at times

Something else that kind of bugged me is that I found some of the action scenes to be clumsily written, like this:

"Three more of them came through the front door. Stephanie ran to the stairs, Skulduggery covering her escape. Halfway up, she looked back as the man in the suit strolled into the hall. She shouted a warning and  Skulduggery turned to face him, but it was too late. Purple vapor gathered in the man's left palm and he released it in a stream that flowed into Skulduggery.." (206).

I don't know why but I just thought that most of the action scenes are written weirdly. But I do understand that fight scenes are pretty hard to write (at least for me).

The world building was alright, although sometimes it was kinda sloppy how new info was presented about the world. But hey, it's the first book in a series, and the author's debut novel (I believe), so I'll cut it some slack.

Tl;dr version: Skulduggery Pleasant is a really fun read with awesome characters and I liked the magic aspect. Although sometimes I found the writing a bit clunky and awkward, overall I really enjoyed this book and will definitely read the sequel.