Delicate Monsters - Stephanie Kuehn

MAJOR content/trigger warning for this book: Animal abuse/animal death. Several animals die/are mistreated. It makes me sick when animals are harmed in a book, especially needlessly. That definitely made me feel uncomfortable and repulsed, and I feel obligated to warn everyone that there are quite a few scenes where animals are mistreated.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about Delicate Monsters. I can't say I enjoyed it, per se, but I kept reading due to some sick fascination with the characters and the story.

Miles, Sadie and Emerson are all very twisted, fucked up kids who do twisted, fucked up things. None of them are very likable, but they are certainly enthralling. Definitely anti heroes.

The ending is very open ended and frustrating for me, as I like closure. I like answers. If you're like me in that way, I think the ending will frustrate you. But if you like loose ends, questions unanswered, I think you'll like the ending.

The main problem I have with Delicate Monsters is that there isn't much of a plot. The story is propelled mainly by its characters, who are fascinating and interesting, but there's not much action.

Also, I'm still confused by what the blurb means by "Miles can see the future". Can he really? Is there supposed to be a supernatural aspect, or is it all in Miles' head?

Tl;dr version: Overall, Delicate Monsters is a book I feel very ambiguous about. It's pretty short, plus the characters are so compelling to read about, so I went through this all in one day. But I feel that its plot is lacking a bit, and the open ending frustrated and confused me. I definitely recommend giving this one a try, but I have a feeling it's not for everyone.