Lord of the Flies - William Golding

Well, this wasn't exactly enjoyable, but it certainly is a classic worth reading.

What I really like about this book is that it is GREAT for discussions. Some classics that we read in school, I just think aren't all that interesting to discuss. But Lord of the Flies actually is really thought provoking. I recently had a graded discussion (aka Socratic Seminar, Fishbowl, whatever you want to call a class discussion where you are graded for participation) in my English class, and it was actually kind of fun.

If you know me, you know that characters are SO important, and usually I can't like a book if I don't like its characters. Lord of the Flies is a rare exception to that. Ralph was alright, I guess, but for a main character he was pretty fucking boring. Who is Ralph? What is he like? I couldn't tell you. Although when I first started reading, I thought he was an asshole, but he really matured throughout the story. So at least he has that going for him. I liked Simon a lot. Even though he was a bit too perfect, his kindness and selflessness was a welcome relief from the brutality of Jack and his group.

Why did he have to die? Damn it, he was the only truly likable character in this whole goddamn book. Well, him and Piggy. Piggy died too.  I guess nice guys finish last in this book.

(show spoiler)

Let's go back to Jack for a second, though. Jack. Dear lord, I hate him so much. All he wants to do is hunt and kill. And it's disturbing and makes me mad.

That ending is basically the definition of a deus ex machina.

A naval ship just happened to be passing by and see the fire, and they just happen to go investigate exactly when Ralph is fleeing for his life from the other boys? Wow. Perfect timing, am I right?

(show spoiler)

The writing is kinda dense. Sometimes I had to re-read a section a few times to understand it. There's also this annoying phenomenon when the author will write a long section of description, and then I get bored and skim, and end up missing the action because it's squished in between the descriptions of the scene. It's more my fault than the author's, but ugh! So frustrating. I never did well on reading quizzes because even though I read the chapter, I missed important details because I was skim reading to skip the long-ass descriptions.

Overall, I do recommend Lord of the Flies. I can't say I liked it, but I didn't dislike it either. I feel pretty ambiguous about it. But it's definitely worth reading.