None of the Above - Andrea Di Gregorio

I really enjoyed None of the Above. Not only is it a good book, it's also an important book, because unfortunately many people still don't know what intersex is, and there are so few books with intersex characters. So this book is educational as well as enjoyable.

There's so much to like about this book. Like I said above, intersex main character, so kudos to this book for diversity! And Kristin is a really likable protagonist. Her reaction to her diagnosis felt so raw and real, and my heart ached when I read about the cruel things her classmates said and did to her. People can be so heartless and judgmental sometimes. But I'm glad that Kristin made a friend who also has AIS (Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome), and that her family was so supportive of her.

This book was really thought provoking and raised some interesting questions about gender and sex, and I just love this quote:

"Love isn't a choice. You fall for the person, not their chromosomes" (324).

I only have a few complaints, which is why I detracted a star. The first is I didn't particularly like the romance. Darren the love interest is a sweet guy, but I just feel the romance didn't add much to the story. And the first few chapters were a bit slow, but the story picked up once Kristin learned she was intersex.

Overall, None of the Above was an interesting, and just plain awesome read. I highly recommend it.