The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

I finally read The Book Thief after one of my friends lent me her copy of the book. I was expecting to either love it or hate it. But I'm somewhere in the middle. It wasn't a bad book. But it wasn't amazing either.

I thought the writing was the best part. Admittedly, a few times it was too showy, too descriptive, but most of the time it was beautiful. Some people might not like it though.

Here's an example of the writing:

"The day was gray, the color of Europe. Curtains of rain were drawn around the car" (27).

Most of the book is written like that.

Not much happens plot-wise. We pretty much just watch Liesel Meminger grow up in Nazi Germany. Liesel steals books. She goes to school and hangs out with her friend Rudy. Her foster family hides a Jewish man. Not much happens. It's boring at times.

And I just don't care about the characters. None of them seemed really fleshed out. They were all kind of flat.

With not much happening in the plot and flat characters, what made this book not a chore to read was the writing. The writing was beautiful and interesting. I think The Book Thief is worth reading for the writing alone.

Overall, I'm glad I finally read this. But I probably wouldn't read it again. It's decent but not special.