Angelfall - Susan Ee

I really wanted to like this. I really did. But I just could never really get into the story. It wasn't unenjoyable, but I can't give it more than 2 and a half stars.

Problems I had with Angelfall:

1. The characters. None of them were really fleshed out or complex. I never really came to like or care for Penryn- tbh, she kinda annoyed me. Don't even get me started on Raffe. He was not only boring, but a poor excuse for a love interest (more on that later). Even though Paige was kidnapped by the angels, I never really cared about her. Maybe it's because she was in the first 6 pages, and then not seen or heard from again until the end. The only characters I sorta liked (and even then, they're not really good characters) were the Dee-Dum twin guys, who kinda reminded me of the Hitachiin twins from Ouran High School Host Club. But they literally only appeared 2 times, maybe 3. I'm very disappointed.

2. The semi-romance between Penryn and Raffe. Firstly, it's hard to have a believable romance between two characters when both of them are about as interesting as blank sheets of paper. Secondly, Raffe is kind of an ass. At one point, he tells Penryn that he doesn't even like her . Their relationship goes abruptly from mild dislike for each other, to a romance. And it's not believable at all.

3. The world-building. I have no idea how the angels work. I have no idea why they invaded (maybe the reader isn't supposed to know until the sequel? But still. I would like some answers). I have no idea what Earth is like after the angel invasion. In short, the world-building is shoddy and I understand NONE of it.

Overall, I am very disappointed and I probably will not read the sequel. Even with that cliffhanger ending.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to re-watch all my favorite episodes of Ouran Highschool Host Club. Because I need me some Hikaru and Kaoru.