Purple Hibiscus - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I really don't know what to say about Purple Hibiscus. I'm left with an empty feeling after reading it.

On the plus side, I liked how it delved into the culture of Nigeria, and I liked how the close of the novel was open-ended but full of hope.

But, and this is a big but, the main reason I didn't particularly like Purple Hibiscus was that I couldn't connect with Kambili at ALL. She felt very bland and I was just wishing the whole time that she'd say something, and speak up for herself, and I got impatient when she didn't. She just doesn't have a voice, if that makes sense. In fact, I couldn't connect with any of the characters much.

I also feel that the plot didn't have much direction. It was like the author couldn't decide on which way she wanted her story to go. It was meandering and all over the place, and quite frankly really boring. The whole political turmoil in Nigeria, which I thought would play a more prominent role in the story, was in the background, and Kambili's familial struggles were first.

Overall, I'm slightly disappointed with Purple Hibiscus and while it wasn't completely unenjoyable, I don't recommend it.