Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

I find it strange that the plot is focused on the burning of books (censorship), yet the author insisted the theme of the book was that technology is bad and distracting:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451 (see the "Themes" section). And as if there is just one theme in a book. Why can't there be multiple?

Anyhow, I vehemently disagree with the notion that technology is bad. Of course, anything in excess can be a little unhealthy (except for books :) , but technology itself is not bad, IMO. The pros definitely outweighs the cons (Emily May's review states it much better than I) I do agree with the theme that censorship is wrong and for a functioning society, people need to be able to express different opinions.

The book itself (writing, characters, etc) wasn't extraordinary. The writing was very flowery and while some adjectives repeated over and over again (autumn leaves, for example) are great if you're discussing symbolism in English class, it's not enjoyable if you're reading it for the sake of reading. I also think Fahrenheit 451 is a tad too short. It ends abruptly, and frankly it's kind of an unimaginative ending (basically, a bomb is dropped on the city, during a war that is barely a part of the story and the cause of is never explained).

I think my favorite character is Clarisse. She was smart and she actually took the time to notice things around her, and question them. She thinks "why" and "how" and she doesn't just mindlessly follow orders. If only she was present more; she's killed off in the first half of the book. Shame.

For the most part, I didn't particularly enjoy Fahrenheit 451. It's definitely a good book to discuss in English class or something, but if you're looking for something to enjoy, I don't recommend this one.